Using Up Those Pot Roast Leftovers: Enchilada Casserole
Did you all take my advice and make the garlic studded pot roast? And do you have leftovers? In my house, leftovers are looked down upon. Not by me, but by that... other person who lives here (Dave!) I really struggle with throwing out leftovers, because it goes against my cheap-ass nature, so I try to come up with ways in which to utilze leftovers that don't give my boyfriend "yuck face" when he sits down to the dinner table... and last night was a success. I have the perfect easy-peasy relaxed recipe to use up all those leftovers.
Shredded Beef Enchilada Casserole
Ingredients:
Leftover shredded pot roast (I had about a cup and a half of leftovers)
1 can enchilada sauce
16 corn tortillas, sliced in half
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1.5 - 2 cups shredded cheese (I used Queso Quesadilla, but you could use jack, colby jack, etc.)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 1.5 quart round baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a nonstick saute pan over medium heat, saute the onion until soft. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the beef, black beans and 1/4 of the can on enchilada sauce. Stir until beef is evenly coated with sauce.
Begin assembling casserole by layering tortillas in the baking dish, overlapping them so that they form a continuous layer (5 halves per layer). Spoon enchilada sauce onto the tortillas (I used two large serving spoonfuls), sprinkle with cheese (according to your taste/diet), add a spoonful of the beef mixture (spread it around a bit). Repeat. On the final layer of tortillas, add sauce and cheese only.
(I happened to have a wedge of queso anejo in the fridge, and grated some of that onto the top as well.)
Once the casserole is assembled, bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly browned. Cool slightly, then slice into wedges (1/4 wedges if you're hungry, 1/6 wedges if you need to stretch this meal). Careful - you may want to use a big spoon when serving to catch all the saucy and cheesy goodness.
Serve with chopped romaine, sliced scallions, salsa, and if desired, sour cream. Chop lots of lettuce. Trust me. You'll want it to cut the richness of the casserole.

4 comments:
That sounds positively delicious. I made some really good chicken enchiladas the other night. Recipe is from Food Network (love them). Yum! Thanks for the good reading.
That looks fabulous. My husband has no objection to leftovers; in fact, I have to overcome serious objections if I try to throw ANYTHING away. That's what comes of being married to the child of immigrant parents. I grew up hearing about starving children in Asia; his parents were starving children in Asia.
Mmmm. I will try this one..but I'll have to eat it alone since "a certain man that I live with" doesn't like Mexican Food..because,as he claims, he knew nothing of mexican food until a Taco Bell came to his small town..sheesh...whatever.
Ahem, any new recipes to post?
Post a Comment